IRS: Filing an extension for your tax return


Tax season is coming to an end and some people may find that they need to request an extension from the IRS for their tax return.

Getting an extension can help you avoid penalties.

There are steps to follow to get the extension.

Child tax credit: the IRS will soon close the portal

When are taxes due to the IRS this year?

The deadline is usually April 15, but it’s different this year.

As Emancipation Day is April 15 this year, the date is pushed back to April 18.

All public offices in Washington DC will be closed in honor of the April 15 holiday.

Maine and Massachusetts have until the next day, April 19.

Indeed, April 18 is Patriots Day in these states.

IRS: Choose correct filing status or miss $100

How to request an extension from the IRS

You have until April 18 to request an extension.

The extension is to file your return by October 18, but you still have to pay your taxes if you owe.

Single registrants can use Free File to request an automatic extension.

You can also pay your estimated income tax that is due to show that you need an extension.

It works with Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card.

Finally, you have the option of filing paper Form 4969 with your estimated payment attached.

You do not need to provide a reason to request an extension.

If your request is denied, the IRS will let you know.


Comments are closed.