Savings tax credit: eligibility and who can apply for it?


The government intends to encourage people to save for their retirement by offering a tax credit to middle and low income taxpayers who contribute to an account.

The credit amount can be up to $1,000, but for a joint deposit, the amount would be up to $2,000.

Zero tax liability

It should be noted that this benefit is different from a tax deduction, as a tax deduction only reduces the amount of your income that is subject to tax and a tax credit reduces the actual tax bill dollar for dollar, which may result in zero taxation for the taxpayer, not a refund.

Importantly, the credit can be claimed by all taxpayers who make salaried contributions to their company-sponsored 401(k), 403(b), SIMPLE, SEP, or government 457 plan. People who contribute to their Traditional or Roth IRAs are also eligible for the benefit.

To benefit from the savings tax creditthe taxpayer must be 18 years of age at the end of the tax year, not be a full-time student, and not be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return.

However, the amount of the credit varies and depends on the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income (AGI) and the amount of the contribution(s).

Different loan amounts

It should be noted that for the saver, this is a non-refundable tax credit of between 10% and 50% of the eligible income of the taxpayer. maximum contribution of $2,000, giving it a maximum value of $1,000.

The saver’s tax credit is based on several different levels of adjusted gross income (AGI).

The saver tax credit rate is 50% for households with a total AGI of $41,000 or less and for individuals with an AGI of $20,500 or less.

Similarly, the saver tax credit is 20% for households with a total AGI of $41,001 to $44,000 or for individuals with an AGI of $20,501 to $22,000.

Finally, the saver’s tax credit is 10% for households with an AGI of $44,001 to $68,000 or for individuals with an AGI of $22,001 to $34,000.

It is important to note that a taxpayer who contributes more than the allowable limit in a given year to his or her retirement account is required to correct the excess by withdrawing the amount from the fund within a specified period. This procedure is called a refund of excess contribution.


Comments are closed.